It has a long-standing history of durability in the dental world. On average, amalgam fillings can last between 10 to 15 years, and in some cases, they may last up to 20 years or more with proper oral care and regular dental check-ups.
The longevity of these fillings largely depends on the wear and tear they undergo, which includes factors such as your dietary habits, oral hygiene routine, and the location of the filling in your mouth.
At Keels Family & Cosmetic Dentistry, we ensure the quality and lifespan of our amalgam fillings by utilizing state-of-the-art technology and adhering to the highest standards of dental practice. Remember, regular dental visits are critical in detecting any potential issues early and extending the life of your fillings.
Do Amalgam Fillings Require More Tooth Removal?
While it is often assumed that amalgam fillings require more tooth removal, the reality is more nuanced. The amount of tooth removal depends less on the type of filling and more on the extent of the tooth decay or damage.
Amalgam fillings do require a certain amount of tooth structure to be removed to ensure a secure fit and long-lasting restoration. This is because amalgam, unlike composite fillings, does not bond directly with the tooth. Instead, it requires the creation of a physical space within the tooth into which the filling material is placed.
However, our experienced dentists always strive to minimize tooth removal and only remove as much as is necessary for the success of the restoration. Our advanced technology and techniques allow us to accurately assess and treat each case with precision and care, ensuring optimal results while maintaining the integrity of your natural tooth structure.
At Keels Family & Cosmetic Dentistry, we understand that investing in your oral health is a significant decision. We are dedicated to providing high-quality care that is also financially accessible. Although prices can vary depending on the complexity of the case, rest assured that we aim to offer the best value for our services.
We believe that everyone deserves a radiant, healthy smile, and we are committed to helping you achieve this in the most cost-effective way possible. Your smile is our success and we look forward to serving your dental needs.
Are Amalgam Silver Dental Fillings Toxic?
It has been a topic of concern due to the presence of mercury, a component known to have toxic effects. However, the American Dental Association (ADA) and other health agencies maintain that amalgam fillings are safe, as the mercury is in a stable compound that doesn’t easily break down.
At Keels Family & Cosmetic Dentistry, we prioritize patient safety and well-being. We acknowledge the variety of opinions surrounding amalgam fillings and offer alternatives such as composite fillings that are both safe and aesthetically pleasing.
We believe in informed decisions; thus, we’re here to provide comprehensive information on all restorative options. Our aim is to provide the best dental care by combining our expertise, advanced technology, and the patient’s individual needs and preferences.
Should I Change From A Silver Dental Filling To A Ceramic Or Composite?
The decision to transition from silver dental fillings to ceramic or composite largely depends on your personal preferences and dental needs.
At Keels Family & Cosmetic Dentistry, we can assist in evaluating your specific circumstances, including the condition of your existing fillings, your aesthetic desires, and your overall oral health.
We strongly believe in patient education, thus, we provide all necessary information about the pros and cons of each type of filling. Drawing on our professional expertise and advanced dental technology, we guide each patient in making the best choice for their unique dental health situation.
Amalgam Dental Fillings Repair & Replacement
At Keels Family & Cosmetic Dentistry, we offer a comprehensive amalgam dental fillings repair & replacement service. If your existing amalgam fillings are damaged, or worn, or you desire a more aesthetic alternative, we’re here to help.
Our team utilizes the latest dental technology to safely remove old amalgam and repair or replace it with a filling material of your choice. Your comfort and satisfaction are our top priorities.
The decision to repair or replace amalgam tooth fillings depends on several factors and should be made in consultation with your dentist or dental professional. Here are some common considerations:
- Deterioration: Over time, amalgam fillings can wear down or deteriorate due to the constant pressure of chewing and biting. If the filling is no longer intact or is showing signs of wear, it may need repair or replacement.
- Decay: If decay develops around or beneath the existing amalgam filling, it may need to be removed and replaced with a new filling to prevent further damage to the tooth.
- Fracture or Cracks: Amalgam fillings can sometimes develop fractures or cracks, which can weaken the tooth structure. If a filling is significantly compromised, it may require replacement.
- Discomfort or Sensitivity: If you experience persistent discomfort or sensitivity around a tooth with an amalgam filling, it could be a sign of a problem with the filling, and you should have it evaluated by a dentist.
- Cosmetic Concerns: Amalgam fillings are silver in color and may not match the natural color of your teeth. If you are concerned about the appearance of your fillings, you may consider having them replaced with tooth-colored composite fillings.
- New Techniques or Materials: Dental technology and materials are continually advancing. If your amalgam fillings are old, your dentist might recommend replacing them with newer, more durable materials.
- Allergic Reactions: In rare cases, some individuals may develop allergic reactions to the metals used in amalgam fillings. If you suspect an allergic reaction, consult your dentist for evaluation and possible replacement.
- Aesthetic Preferences: Some individuals may choose to replace their amalgam fillings with tooth-colored alternatives for aesthetic reasons, even if the amalgam fillings are still functional.
It’s essential to have regular dental check-ups to monitor the condition of your dental fillings and overall oral health. Your dentist will assess the condition of your amalgam fillings during routine examinations and recommend appropriate treatment options based on your individual needs.
Trust us to restore your teeth to their optimal function and aesthetic, while ensuring a seamless, stress-free experience throughout the process. We’re dedicated to delivering top-notch, personalized dental care for all our patients.
Schedule Your Dental Health Consultation Today!
Don’t delay in addressing your dental health concerns. Whether it’s time for your regular check-up, you’re considering a transition from silver fillings to ceramic or composite, or need to repair or replace existing amalgam fillings, Keels Family & Cosmetic Dentistry is ready to assist.
Give us a call to schedule your consultation or visit our office today. We’re committed to meeting your dental needs and exceeding your expectations. Start your journey to a healthier, more confident smile with us!